Farnham Rugby Club fell to a 32-7 defeat at Guildford in Regional Two South Central.

Guildford played with skill going forward and plenty of aggression in defence, but Farnham squandered a number of attacking opportunities which, if taken, would have produced a kinder final score.

Farnham started the brighter of the two sides attacking down the gentle slope of the Broadwater pitch.

Mike Mizzi’s full-on defence in midfield produced a turnover. Toby Simmons joined the line and his pace put Guildford on the back foot. However, Guildford turned the ball over and hoofed into Farnham territory and pinned the visitors there.

A well-worked backs’ move from the set scrum put Guildford’s skipper and full back Rob Voller over in the corner. The long conversion attempt was good.

During these exchanges, Farnham talisman Jonny Vincent was injured and replaced by young tyro Finn Basil.

Spilled passes and poorly-resourced breakdowns spoiled Farnham’s chances to score. Meanwhile, Guildford were awarded a penalty in front of the posts and stretched their lead.

Eventually Farnham earned good field position and from a line out ten metres out kept the ball tight to the fringes and pounded forward until Oscar Hendersen popped the ball to Mizzi to power over in front of the posts to make the score 10-7.

After Farnham’s try, skipper Toby Salmon dislocated his thumb challenging for the ball. Finn Sloan came on to shore up a rejigged back line.

Sam Woodhams came on for an injured Dan Sweeney at prop, while Oscar Hendersen picked up a knocked to his knee and limped through the second half.

Despite an empty bench and a couple of on-field injuries being carried, Farnham were not out of it at the start of the second half and threatened a number of times.

Guildford kicked deep down the slope and Farnham had no option but to dab the ball down behind their own line. From the resulting goalline drop out, the home side attacked down the left with blistering pace and went over to lead 15-7. Farnham responded by keeping the ball in hand but were turned over in their own 22, allowing Voller to stroll in under the posts.

Farnham winger Alex Chalker made an arcing run down the left but was bundled into touch by the cover defence.

Guildford’s next try came from a quick tap at a free kick. The Farnham defence was unprepared and Guildford’s fullback Voller completed his hat-trick.

Guildford’s final try arrived when the ball was spun wide through the backs for skipper Voller to score his fourth of the afternoon to make it 32-7.