Champions Farnham Town beat Colliers Wood United 2-0 at The Memorial Ground to close in on a century of points in the Combined Counties Premier Division South.

Town were quick out of the blocks and took the lead in the third minute when Mark Waters’ cut-back was diverted into his own net by Colliers Wood’s Tom Blampied.

The home side nearly doubled their advantage on 21 minutes when Owen Dean’s lofted cross into the box found Shamal Edwards, who headed over the bar.

Dean Rule drove forward for Farnham in the 28th minute, but his shot from the edge of the box was well held by Colliers Wood keeper Toby McKimm.

The visitors almost equalised on 35 minutes when Coby Acquaye hit a thunderous shot from just outside the box which rattled the Farnham crossbar.

Town went down the other end of the pitch and Rule played a neat one-two with Edwards, but Rule’s shot was comfortably saved by McKimm.

Rule then played in Edwards in the 43rd minute, but Edwards hit his left-foot shot over the bar.

Farnham were quick out of the blocks in the second half and Rule shot wide of the right-hand post on 48 minutes.

Town nearly scored their second a minute later when Dean’s shot was saved at point-blank range by McKimm, and follow-up efforts from Rule and Edwards were somehow blocked on the line.

Dean slipped in substitute Adam Liddle in the 57th minute, but he hit his shot over the bar.

Farnham doubled their advantage on the hour mark. Brandon Kalu hung up an inviting cross to the back post, which Dean headed back across goal for substitute Lewis Flatman to emphatically head into the roof of the net.

It was nearly 3-0 two minutes later when Rule dragged his shot just wide of the left-hand post.

Flatman was denied a spectacular goal on 71 minutes when his volley was headed away by Colliers Wood’s Stefan Aiwone.

Liddle played the ball through to Flatman seven minutes later, but Flatman’s shot across goal went just wide.

Farnham continued to push for a third, but ultimately had to settle for a comfortable 2-0 win.

The victory took Town to 99 points with three league games still remaining, and was the perfect way for Farnham to prepare for lifting the league title after the match in front of a crowd of 902.

Next up for Farnham is a trip to AFC Croydon Athletic in the Combined Counties Premier Division South on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).