Surrey and Sussex Serious Organised Crime Unit conducted the major operation with the assistance of Hampshire Constabulary. A total of 70 officers carried out the arrests and subsequent searches at a host of properties in west Surrey and north east Hampshire.
Confirming the raids on Thursday (December 20) afternoon, a police spokesman said: "ATM theft is a national issue and we have seen organised criminal gangs targeting more rural locations across the country including in Surrey and our neighbouring counties.
"But, early this morning, we conducted a series of early morning raids in order to arrest suspects and gather evidence."
It comes less than a fortnight after Surrey Police arrested a man in his 20s in connection with August’s devastating ram raid at Halifax bank in West Street, Farnham.
Three people were also arrested last month linked to a copy-cat ram raid at HSBC bank in Alton town centre on November 23 - the latest of a series of similar incidents across west Surrey and east Hampshire.
The Herald believes at least 38 ATMs have been targeted in the area since February 2017.
Speaking after Thursday’s raids, head of serious organised crime for Surrey and Sussex, Detective Superintendent Karen Mizzi said: “Today’s arrests have been a result of a thorough investigation into organised crime in the area.
“Recent ATM thefts have posed a severe risk and danger to the public and it has a severe impact on rural communities who rely on these machines.
“I’m pleased that our team, coordinated with Sussex and Hampshire forces, were able to make the arrests.
“I want to reassure the public that we are taking this series of crimes very seriously and perpetrators will never be welcome in Surrey.
“Attacks on ATMs is a national issue and one affecting all forces at present. We are working hard with all of our neighbouring forces to ensure there is a joined up approach to catching offenders and establish if there are any links between crimes.
“We will keep you updated as and when there is new information to share, and in the meantime I appreciate your patience and understanding while these investigations continue.”
Four of the six men are currently in custody having been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary. Two have been arrested on an "unrelated separate matter".
DS Mizzi continued: "In the meantime, we would continue to encourage the public to report to us straightaway any suspicious vehicles or anyone seen acting suspiciously, as well as anyone with any information relating to any of the specific incidents that have taken place recently.
"If you have any information which could assist, please call us on 101 or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."





Comments
This article has no comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment.