Farnham exited the Papa Johns Community Cup with a 71-24 defeat at Thornbury on Saturday.

After a comprehensive victory against Chobham in the first round, Farnham came unstuck against South Gloucestershire’s Thornbury RFC. Farnham called up debutant Jack Callaghan as well as a number of other young players with relatively few first-team appearances. Thornbury also fielded a side with a number of regular players missing.

Farnham started quickly. When Thornbury failed to clear their lines from the kick-off, the Black and Whites pounced and Oscar Henderson burst over to score. Thereafter, Farnham simply could not withstand the weight of the Thornbury pack and the speed and directness of their back’s running lines. Farnham did not give up and Henderson went over for his second try, with fly-half Rufus Doran converting to make it 33-12.

Reece Stennett prepares to tackle the Thornbury player clung to by a desperate defender (Photo: Dave Fox)
Reece Stennett prepares to tackle the Thornbury player clung to by a desperate defender (Photo: Dave Fox) (Dave Fox)

But for a try from Toby Simmons, the second half was one-way traffic with Thornbury racking up a further 38 points. Farnham stayed in the fight and Henderson completed his hat-trick.

On Monday evening Farnham’s under-16 A side put up a brilliant fight against a much-fancied Warlingham team at the Twickenham Stoop in the final of the Quins Cup. Farnham were first to score with Ollie Moran barging over from close range. The try was converted by Fred Harris. Warlingham struck back and the game flowed back and forth.

In the second half Warlingham had all the possession and territory while Farnham had to break out from deep to put any pressure on their opponents. Farnham’s doughty defence limited Warlingham’s score to just an unconverted try and a penalty. Warlingham led 15-7 when Farnham broke out and Will Mellor dashed in under the posts. Toby Willoughby’s conversion made it 15-14 with a minute to play. Farnham returned the restart with ball in hand but were turned over in the Warlingham 22, where the ball was hoofed off the pitch to give Warlingham the win.

Farnham's under-16s lost 15-14 against Warlingham
Farnham's under-16s lost 15-14 against Warlingham (Farnham Rugby Club)

“All 24 players put in a magnificent shift,” said head coach Rorie Whybro. “Although seemingly outgunned all over the park, they stuck at it and played for each other for every second.”