Aldershot Town made it through to the fourth round of the FA Trophy with a penalty shootout win over Eastleigh at the Silverlake Stadium, writes Samuel Carter.

Goals from Jack Barham and Haji Mnoga levelled the game after Jayden Harris and Paul McCallum had put the Spitfires into a 2-0 lead, before the tie was decided from the spot in front of 406 travelling Shots fans.

The Shots made two changes from the side that drew 2-2 with Stockport County in the FA Cup, with Joe Haigh and Kwame Thomas replacing Josh Stokes and Jack Barham.

Eastleigh led after eight minutes when former Shot Jayden Harris launched an effort from outside the box. It looked fairly comfortable for Dutch keeper Jordi van Stappershoef but the ball slipped out of his grasp and crossed the line.

Six minutes into the second half Joe Haigh raced through on goal but was brought down just outside the box by Eastleigh centre-back Ludwig Francilette, who was shown a straight red card.

In the 55th minute the ten men doubled their lead. A cross into the Shots box fell to Haji Mnoga’s feet, but he slipped as he touched the ball down and Paul McCallum finished from a few yards out.

Substitute Jack Barham was introduced in the 64th minute and he made an impact within seconds, brilliantly taking the ball down and finishing past Scott.

The goal rejuvenated the Shots and they piled the pressure on their hosts.

Lorent Tolaj and Ryan Glover both came close before Ollie Harfield raced down the left and delivered a low cross which Haji Mnoga blasted low into the net after a bit of penalty area pinball in the 74th minute.

Tolaj had an effort cleared off the line ten minutes from the end before fantastic last-ditch defending from Eastleigh denied Olly Scott, and Tolaj again, with just seconds remaining.

Eastleigh went first in the shootout and after the first six penalties the score was 3-3. Scott Quigley, Chris Maguire and Aidan Barlow netted for Eastleigh, with Kwame Thomas, Cian Harries and Lorent Tolaj replying for Aldershot.

Corey Panter blinked first, missing the target for Eastleigh, then Tyler Frost scored to put Aldershot 4-3 up.

Enzio Boldewijn equalised for Eastleigh and when Coby Rowe missed the target it was no longer advantage Aldershot.

But then Jordi van Stappershoef had his moment of glory, saving Nigel Atangana’s kick, before Jack Barham scored to give Aldershot a 5-4 win.