Farnham Town closed in on an unbeaten Combined Counties Premier Division South campaign with a 2-0 win at home to Tooting & Mitcham United.

Goals from Lewis Flatman and Dean Rule were enough to give the champions the three points in front of a crowd of 234 at The Memorial Ground and leave Farnham one game away from an unbeaten league campaign.

Town were quick out of the blocks and nearly took the lead in the sixth minute when Rule’s shot was well saved by Tooting keeper Jack Minchin. Farnham went close again a minute later when Charlie Postance’s header into the ground bounced over the bar.

Owen Dean was next to go close on 26 minutes when his shot forced a good save from Minchin. Flatman went close a minute later when his effort took a deflection and flashed just wide of the post.

The visitors were reduced to ten men for ten minutes when Mario Quiassaca was sent to the sin bin. Harry Cooksley’s deep free kick then picked out Postance, but his header went over the bar. Cooksley was next to go close when his effort was fumbled by Minchin, but the Tooting keeper recovered in time to claim the ball.

The breakthrough came for Farnham in the 41st minute when Flatman’s 25-yard effort went through Minchin and into the back of the Tooting net.

Town nearly doubled their advantage two minutes later when Rule’s shot was superbly blocked on the line, but the home side had to settle for a 1-0 lead at half-time.

The start of the second half was delayed by five minutes because of an injury to one of the assistant referees. He was replaced by a member of the Tooting media team who is a qualified official.

Farnham continued to create chances after the break and went close to a second on 51 minutes when Flatman flashed a dangerous ball across the face of goal which was just out of reach of Dean.

Town did double their advantage three minutes later when Rule cut inside and fired his shot home off the inside of the near post.

Farnham took the chance to use their substitutes with Adam Liddle, Tom Smith and Michael Kinsella coming on for Dean, Flatman and Cooksley.

Town continued to push for a third, and Postance curled his shot just over the bar in the 90th minute. Tooting were reduced to ten men again in stoppage time when Andy O’Brien was sent to the sin bin.

The three points took Farnham to 105 points, as the unbeaten champions picked up their 34th win from 37 league matches this season.

Next up for Farnham is a trip to Tooting & Mitcham United in the Combined Counties Premier Division South on Saturday afternoon (3pm).