Petersfield Town manager Connor Hoare admitted his side deserved to be beaten by Andover New Street after the Rams threw away a two-goal lead in the Wessex League Premier Division.

The ten men of Petersfield let a two-goal lead slip as Andover completed the double over the visitors.

A bright start from the Rams brought an early lead as Callum Kimber won a free kick on the left flank. Jake Thomson made it two goals in two games with a glancing header into the far post after 12 minutes.

A superb team goal from back to front made it 2-0 four minutes later. Kimber’s deflected cross made its way to Declan Seiden, who made some space before firing his shot off the post and in.

Despite the two-goal advantage the hosts were never far out of the game. The typically prolific Ross Cook missed a number of key opportunities. Cook went through on goal and into the area, cutting inside to leave the defender stranded, but his shot missed the target by a considerable margin.

Kimber had a superb chance to make it 3-0 and put the game to bed, but he fired over when one-on-one with the keeper.

It proved costly as the visitors were gifted a way back in just before half-time. A backpass from Harvey Aston put Andover through on goal. A superb low save from Ellis Grant was followed by the rebound ricocheting off the underside of the bar as Cook slammed home.

Tactical changes were made in the second half in an attempt to hold on to the victory, but it had the opposite effect as the hosts had space to exploit and eventually punished the visitors. Claudio Herbet bagged the equaliser after 53 minutes when he rolled the defender in the box before slotting in low past Grant.

Petersfield’s Tyler Giddings was sent off in the 62nd minute when he hacked down the Andover striker as the last man.

The hosts’ turnaround was completed minutes later. Aaron Randall had a go from long range, which took a slight deflection on its way into the corner.

Andover New Street remained in control, with Cook missing the target inside the six-yard box and putting another close-range effort wide before Grant made a point-blank save to deny Cook.

Callum Dart had a chance of his own at the back post to steal a point late on, but he scuffed his effort with a retreating defender clearing from danger.

“We didn’t deserve anything from the game,” said Hoare.

“Although we went 2-0 up we weren’t playing well. We made changes at half-time to try to change things, but unfortunately it didn’t go to plan.”